Description of Organization
This Collaboration Grant among Cure Violence/CeaseFire Illinois and Shambhala Center of Chicago supported “Uncovering Safe Spaces Within and Without,” a program to help transform Chicago to a peaceful, kind, and awake society by training 200 CeaseFire staff and 450 high school freshmen in mindfulness meditation, giving them tools to deal with emotion and stress and to recharge energy on the spot in emergency settings, with the goal of replicating the program in other schools and cities.
- Help uncover Chicago’s basic Buddha nature and oneness; and to help transform Chicago to a society that is peaceful, kind, and awake.
- Help reduce violence among youth in Chicago.
- Train 200 CeaseFire staff in mindfulness meditation, giving them tools for being on the spot in emergencies, for dealing with emotion, for recharging energy, and for dealing with stress.
- Help create a culture within CeaseFire where meditation is a respected tool.
- Develop 3-5 CeaseFire meditation champions and at least one mindfulness meditation teacher.
- Train 450 Orr High School freshmen in mindfulness meditation.
- Measure reduced violence and stress, increased well-being and self-worth.
- Replicate this program in other Chicago high schools and with CeaseFire staff in other cities.