The subject matter of the conference is more timely than ever. During June 2 – 5 of 2022, we will step up and address the challenges of our time with a much needed in-person gathering of our network and the larger American Buddhist community of which we are all a part.
Naropa University and our Foundation are working on a robust online run-up training and discussion program which will commence on or after March, 2022 and culminate with the conference at Garrison in June, 2022. The discussion topics reflect our grantees’ response to an online conference plan survey (65 different organizations responded) as well as extensive discussions among members of the conference advisory committee.
- Tradition and Innovation—how is Buddhism appropriately innovating in an American context without losing connection with its Asian transmissions and roots?
- Leadership, Power and Empowerment—how are American Buddhist communities addressing abuses of power to create healthy communities? How are leaders and teachers across diverse identities being empowered?
- Dharma for the Environmental Crisis—how is American Buddhism contributing to solving the critical environmental issues of our time?
- Engaged Buddhism—what are examples of engaged initiatives in America that bring contemplative methods to social, educational, and political issues?
- BIPOC Wisdom and Skillful Means—how are BIPOC, Asian-American and other Buddhist communities bringing innovative new structures and modalities to American Buddhism? What is an inclusive sangha?
- Digital Dharma and Virtual Sangha—what new platforms and venues are propagating dharma in America, and how has this changed the face of American Buddhism?
Instead of individual keynote speakers and addresses on topics by a featured speaker, we are assembling small speaker panels to conduct interactive discussions. The conference will feature speakers and workshops which members of our grantee network will lead. As we have more detail about the online run up to the conference, we will keep you apprised.
Sign up here to stay informed and get involved!