Description of Organization
This Collaboration Grant between Sonoma Mountain Zen Center and Santa Rosa Charter School for the Arts supported the “School Mindfulness Project,” a pilot 10-week Mindful Art Program to 1) reduce stress, 2) increase self-compassion, 3) improve student achievement and 4) foster artistic creativity and self-expression through mindfulness techniques for students and staff of the Santa Rosa Charter School for the Arts.
The first stage of the School Mindfulness Project will be a 10-week instructional program in mindfulness and art. The program will be staffed by the program director, Charter School art teacher, consulting teachers, and guest artists. The guest artists will consist of members and friends of the Sonoma Mountain Zen Center and other artists who have a background in mindfulness and art. The guest artists will present art lessons to the Charter School students and share with them how mindfulness enhances their lives and art. This program will serve as a model for future programs to be offered to local schools and educators through the School Mindfulness Project at SMZC.
The goals of the 10-week Mindful Art Program are: 1) reduce stress; 2) increase self-compassion; 3) improve student achievement and 4) foster artistic creativity and self-expression through mindfulness techniques for students and staff of the Santa Rosa Charter School for the Arts.
Overall Project Goals
- Create and implement a 10-week pilot Mindful Art Program through a partnership between the Santa Rosa Charter School for the Arts and the Sonoma Mountain Zen Center.
- Develop within Sonoma Mountain Zen Center an expertise in presenting mindfulness to students and teachers in local schools from elementary level through college.
- Design educationally-sound mindfulness programs that will be marketable to public and private schools.
- Gather and develop the materials and resources necessary for future marketing of SMZC’s mindfulness programs to local schools.
- Provide more contemplative arts and mindfulness instruction to local schools.
- Bring greater awareness of Sonoma Mountain Zen Center and its values to the wider community.